Sun-dried tomato, Mushroom and Spinach Tofu Quiche
- 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water, mixed together
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
1-2.5 tbsp water, as needed
For the quiche:
- 350g block firm tofu, drained & patted dry
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 2 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water, mixed together
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained & finely chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease a round 25cm pie dish.
- Wrap rinsed tofu in a few tea towels. Place a few books on top of it to lightly press out the water while you prepare the crust.
- For the crust: Whisk together flax and water mixture in a small bowl and set aside so it can gel up.
- In a large bowl, stir together the almond meal, buckwheat flour, tigernut flour, parsley, oregano, and salt.
- Add in the flax mixture and oil. Stir until mostly combined, adding the remaining water until the dough is sticky (about the consistency of cookie dough). The dough should stick together when you press it between your fingers.
- Crumble the dough evenly over the base of the pie dish. Starting from the centre of the pan, press the mixture evenly into the pan, working your way outward and up the sides of the pan. Poke a few fork holes in the dough so air can escape.
- Bake the crust at 180C for 15 – 20 minutes, or until lightly golden and firm to touch. Set aside to cool while you finish preparing the filling.
- For the filling: Break apart the tofu block into 4 pieces and add into food processor with coconut or almond milk. Process the tofu until smooth and creamy. Add in the flaxseed gel and mix to combine.
- In a skillet, add oil and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, season with salt, and cook on medium-high heat until most of the water cooks off the mushrooms, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in the herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, nutritional yeast, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes until combined. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Finally, remove from heat and stir in the processed tofu until thoroughly combined. Adjust seasoning to taste if desired. Spoon mixture into baked crust and smooth out with a spoon until even.
- Bake quiche, uncovered, at 180C for 33-37 minutes, until the quiche is firm to the touch. For best results, cool the quiche for 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack before attempting to slice. The crust may crumble slightly when sliced warm, but not to worry.
Wrap up leftovers and refrigerate for 3-4 days. Leftover quiche can be reheated in the oven on a baking sheet for about 15-20 minutes at 180C.
Hi future friends, I’m Sarah King, a Health At Every Size (HAES) Exercise Physiologist and health coach.
Science, not trends is the foundation of my approach. By nourishing the body and mind with scientific facts we can build foundations for a life of realness, not just wellness.