Calorie counting can be a difficult habit to break, especially for those going through eating disorder and hypothalamic amenorrhea recovery. The constant focus on numbers and restriction can create a harmful relationship with food and hinder progress towards a healthier lifestyle. Fortunately, there are five essential tools that can help individuals let go of calorie counting and develop a more intuitive approach to food.
- Mindful Eating: mindful eating involves being present and engaged while eating, paying attention to hunger and fullness cues, and savoring the experience of eating. This can help individuals become more in tune with their body’s needs and develop a healthier relationship with food.
- Nutrition Education: understanding the basics of nutrition can help individuals make informed choices about their food intake without obsessing over calories. This includes learning about macronutrients, micronutrients, and portion sizes.
- Addressing Your Fears Surrounding Giving Up Counting Calories: many individuals fear giving up calorie counting because they worry about losing control or gaining weight. Addressing these fears and challenging negative thoughts can help individuals let go of the need to count calories and embrace a more balanced approach to food.
- Experimenting with Not Tracking Certain Meals/Times: it can be helpful to start small when letting go of calorie counting. Experimenting with not tracking certain meals or times of day can help individuals gradually build confidence in their ability to listen to their body’s needs.
- Seek Support and Practice Self-Compassion: recovery from an eating disorder or hypothalamic amenorrhea can be challenging, and it’s important to seek support from a therapist or support group. Practicing self-compassion can also help individuals be kinder to themselves as they navigate this journey.
In this podcast episode, we dive deeper into these five essential tools to help individuals let go of calorie counting and develop a more intuitive approach to food. By implementing these tools, individuals can work towards a healthier relationship with food and a more positive overall mindset.
❤️ Join my newsletter list for weekly motivation and inspiration and you’ll also receive a FREE copy of my eBook “31 Ways to Boost Your Body Image”
❤️ Ready to get your period back? Join the next round of Healing Hypothalamic Amenorrhea! This 8-week, hybrid group and 1:1 coaching program is designed to help you recover your period while improving your relationship with food, exercise and your body. Find out details and sign up here: https://sarahlizking.com/healing-ha/
❤️ Signature 1:1 Recovery Coaching from qualified health professionals you trust! Sarah and her team will help you ditch disorered eating, recover your period, find food freedom and regain the life you deserve. Fill out the contact form to get started
❤️ If you enjoyed this episode please leave a 5⭐️ review and share a screenshot on Instagram by tagging myself @sarahlizking and I’ll be sure to reshare.
Ready To Improve Your Relationship with Food and Get Your Period Back?
The Healing HA program gives you the exact steps to getting your hormones, period and fertility back WITHOUT the overwhelm or loneliness of trying to do it on your own.
In just 8-weeks, you’ll learn absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know about Hypothalamic Amenorrhea Recovery, so you can get your period back AND make sure it sticks around forever while improving your relationship with food.