Are you nervous to drink alcohol because you feel it contains “empty calories?” Or maybe you are working on recovering your period and think a drink will completely derail your progress from hypothalamic amenorrhea recovery.
Today on the podcast we answer all your questions surrounding alcohol including whether you should drink it, how much is safe, and some signs you may be using or avoiding alcohol for the wrong reasons.
We’re here with a bit of a contraversial topic today so I’m gonna start this off with a content warning: in this episode we discuss alcohol and its impacts on recovery, as well as ensuring you have a safe and healthy relationship with alcohol. If you find this topic triggering in any way please skip this episode and tune back in next week.
During this podcast Elyse and I discuss:
- Signs you may have a strained relationship with alcohol from disordered eating point of view
- Should you consume alcohol if it’s just “empty calories”
- The drunkorexia phenomenon of consuming alcohol in place of calories from food
- Like food restriction, how the restriction of alcohol in the short term may lead to cycles of binge drinking later on
- Is it actually safe to consume alcohol in eating disorder or hypothalamic amenorrhea recovery?
- What does a safe and moderate amount of alcohol look like?
- How both alcohol and malnutrition impact the body and liver function in different ways
- The link between excessive alcohol consumption and missing periods due to stress
- Whether you should challenge any unhelpful beliefs you have around alcohol in recovery
- How alcohol may be another symptom of the “fear of losing control” which is a common concern for those in eating disorder and HA recovery
- Our own personal experiences of our relationship with alcohol before, during and after recovery
❤️ Join my newsletter list for weekly motivation and inspiration and you’ll also receive a FREE copy of my eBook “31 Ways to Boost Your Body Image”
❤️ Ready to get your period back? Join the next round of Healing Hypothalamic Amenorrhea! This 8-week, hybrid group and 1:1 coaching program is designed to help you recover your period while improving your relationship with food, exercise and your body. Find out details and sign up here: https://sarahlizking.com/healing-ha/
❤️ Signature 1:1 Recovery Coaching from qualified health professionals you trust! Sarah and her team will help you ditch disorered eating, recover your period, find food freedom and regain the life you deserve. Fill out the contact form to get started
❤️ If you enjoyed this episode please leave a 5⭐️ review and share a screenshot on Instagram by tagging myself @sarahlizking and I’ll be sure to reshare.
Ready To Improve Your Relationship with Food and Get Your Period Back?
The Healing HA program gives you the exact steps to getting your hormones, period and fertility back WITHOUT the overwhelm or loneliness of trying to do it on your own.
In just 8-weeks, you’ll learn absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know about Hypothalamic Amenorrhea Recovery, so you can get your period back AND make sure it sticks around forever while improving your relationship with food.