Perfectionism is something many of us have ingrained in us from an early age. It’s the need to be “good”, to aim for perfection, to please others and put their needs ahead of your own. As females, we’re taught to be soft, compassionate and caring, even if that means ignoring your own desires and needs, and pushing yourself to the point of burnout and exhaustion.
This syndrome can also increase your likelihood of developing disordered eating behaviours. When this need to be the “good girl” turns into a need to look “perfect”, or be of a “perfect” weight and size, this can be a slippery slope into eating disorders and disordered eating patterns.
In today’s episode of Holistic Health Radio, we explore how you can stop aiming to be “perfect”, and instead embody a strong, capable person who feels able and empowered to ask for your needs to be met, and to establish boundaries with those around you.
By the end of this podcast you’ll know:
- Common characteristics of perfectionism in eating disorders and disordered eating
- How unrelenting standards develop and predispose people to disordered eating and exercise behaviours
- The bi-directional relationship between perfectionism and eating disorders/disordered eating
- Why the need to have the “perfect body” can maintain perfectionist standards
- How to know if your self-worth is tied to perfectionism or the perfectionist behaviours you have around food and exercise
- Why a person might maintain perfectionist tendencies even when they notice the negative consequences
- Ways to overcome perfectionism so you can move forward in your recovery journey
- Why understanding the pros and cons of perfectionism is important to understand in adopting new more reasonable standards
- How building self-esteem and self-worth are both essential to breaking away from perfectionism
- Understanding your fears and worries associated with breaking away from perfectionism so you can address them during your recovery journey
- How compassion can be the missing link in moving away from perfectionism
❤️ Join my newsletter list for weekly motivation and inspiration and you’ll also receive a FREE copy of my eBook “31 Ways to Boost Your Body Image”
❤️ Ready to get your period back? Join the next round of Healing Hypothalamic Amenorrhea! This 8-week, hybrid group and 1:1 coaching program is designed to help you recover your period while improving your relationship with food, exercise and your body. Find out details and sign up here: https://sarahlizking.com/healing-ha/
❤️ Looking for a supportive recovery community? Click here to join Recovery Club and start your journey to full recovery today.
❤️ Signature 1:1 Recovery Coaching from qualified health professionals you trust! Sarah and her team will help you ditch disorered eating, recover your period, find food freedom and regain the life you deserve. Fill out the contact form to get started
❤️ If you enjoyed this episode please leave a 5⭐️ review and share a screenshot on Instagram by tagging myself @sarahlizking and I’ll be sure to reshare.
Ready To Improve Your Relationship with Food and Get Your Period Back?
The Healing HA program gives you the exact steps to getting your hormones, period and fertility back WITHOUT the overwhelm or loneliness of trying to do it on your own.
In just 8-weeks, you’ll learn absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know about Hypothalamic Amenorrhea Recovery, so you can get your period back AND make sure it sticks around forever while improving your relationship with food.