Many eating disorder behaviors are emotional avoidance strategies.
For example, if you feel something uncomfortable – instead of managing this emotion with a HELPFUL emotional regulation strategy the emotion is avoided or “numbed” with disordered eating or exercise behaviours.
So When individuals go into recovery they need to step away from these behvaiours that have long been used as avoidance strategies. They need to be exchanged for healthier eating and exercise behaviours. But how do you go about doing this?
That’s the exact question we answer in this week’s episode of Holistic Health Radio.
By the end of this episode you’ll:
- Know the signs to look out for which show you’re using disordered behaviours to avoid negative emotions
- Understand the relationship you have with your emotions
- Know how to identify what emotion you’re feeling
- Go beyond the thought of “feeling fat” and actually pinpoint the emotion you’re experiencing
- Understand physical manifestations of emotions and tune into the sensations that appear in your body
- Be able to learn what situations or thoughts trigger certain emotions
- Have the skills to effectively sit with your feelings without turning to disordered behaviours
- Be capable of naming and acknowledging your emotions instead of running away from them
- Know how to sit with emotions and be curious about them
- Be able to make recovery aligned choices even in the face of difficult emotions
❤️ Join my newsletter list for weekly motivation and inspiration and you’ll also receive a FREE copy of my eBook “31 Ways to Boost Your Body Image”
❤️ Ready to get your period back? Join the next round of Healing Hypothalamic Amenorrhea! This 8-week, hybrid group and 1:1 coaching program is designed to help you recover your period while improving your relationship with food, exercise and your body. Find out details and sign up here: https://sarahlizking.com/healing-ha/
❤️ Signature 1:1 Recovery Coaching from qualified health professionals you trust! Sarah and her team will help you ditch disorered eating, recover your period, find food freedom and regain the life you deserve. Fill out the contact form to get started
❤️ If you enjoyed this episode please leave a 5⭐️ review and share a screenshot on Instagram by tagging myself @sarahlizking and I’ll be sure to reshare.
Ready To Improve Your Relationship with Food and Get Your Period Back?
The Healing HA program gives you the exact steps to getting your hormones, period and fertility back WITHOUT the overwhelm or loneliness of trying to do it on your own.
In just 8-weeks, you’ll learn absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know about Hypothalamic Amenorrhea Recovery, so you can get your period back AND make sure it sticks around forever while improving your relationship with food.