Over the last decade the stigma that once existed around mental illness has decreased significantly. This is largely due to increased awareness of the prevalence of mental illness, media campaigns and prominent public figures sharing their experience with various mental health disorders.
However, even as people find understanding and support for their illness, they are also subject to a host of unhelpful and stigmatizing attitudes about medication. These include:
- the implication that they’re just not trying hard enough to overcome their condition,
- the recommendation that all they need is a certain diet, or exercise, or meditation,
- the assumption that the cure for their condition is as simple as taking a pill.
In the context of HA and ED recovery it is important to remember that eating disorders are often comorbid with other mental health conditions such as:
- Anxiety disorders (Generalised anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder etc etc)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Substance use disorders
Therefore this topic is very relevant to our audience and clientele – which is why we wanted to address it!
In this episode we discuss:
- Why is there still a stigma around the use of medication?
- The influence of pop-culture jokes on medication use and misrepresentation in films and TV
- How the lack of cultural conversation can keep the stigma of medication alive
- The association between taking medication and being “labelled”
- Misinformation about alternative or ‘natural’ approaches
- 3 main reasons why medication may be important for you during HA or ED recovery.
❤️ Join my newsletter list for weekly motivation and inspiration and you’ll also receive a FREE copy of my eBook “31 Ways to Boost Your Body Image”
❤️ Ready to get your period back? Join the next round of Healing Hypothalamic Amenorrhea! This 8-week, hybrid group and 1:1 coaching program is designed to help you recover your period while improving your relationship with food, exercise and your body. Find out details and sign up here: https://sarahlizking.com/healing-ha/
❤️ Signature 1:1 Recovery Coaching from qualified health professionals you trust! Sarah and her team will help you ditch disorered eating, recover your period, find food freedom and regain the life you deserve. Fill out the contact form to get started
❤️ If you enjoyed this episode please leave a 5⭐️ review and share a screenshot on Instagram by tagging myself @sarahlizking and I’ll be sure to reshare.
Ready To Improve Your Relationship with Food and Get Your Period Back?
The Healing HA program gives you the exact steps to getting your hormones, period and fertility back WITHOUT the overwhelm or loneliness of trying to do it on your own.
In just 8-weeks, you’ll learn absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know about Hypothalamic Amenorrhea Recovery, so you can get your period back AND make sure it sticks around forever while improving your relationship with food.