Episode 76: Should You Date During Recovery From an Eating Disorder?
Today’s podcast is less science, and more questions of the heart as I answer the question “Should you date during eating disorder recovery?”
I think this applies to any kind of recovery from a mental health issue such as an eating disorder, depression, anxiety, or a physical health issue like hypothalamic amenorrhea or even a chronic condition like maybe chronic pain or something along those lines.
However, for the purposes of this podcast I’m going to be talking about eating disorders, and mention my own experience of dating and how that played into recovery.
Throughout the podcast I’ll also point out some key questions you can ask yourself to know if you’re ready to date or if you are currently in a relationship how to broach the topic of recovery and your needs with your partner if they don’t know you’re struggling.
Please remember there is no right or wrong answer to this. The only person who knows you best is you!
In this episode I discuss:
- Dating from a healthy headspace instead of trying to fill a void
- Creating boundaries – the basic rights that determine what we will and won’t put up with in relationships
- How to effectively communicate your needs in relationships and dating so your recovery doesn’t take a back seat
- Dealing with rejection
- How to be authentically yourself when dating
- Accepting body changes, owning your worth, and realising you have so much more to offer
- Sticking with recovery through all the ups and downs of life and dating
Holistic Health Radio
Featuring interviews with interesting guests and experts, we bring you the personal stories and the science on how to create a healthier relationship with food, exercise, mind and body. Check out more episodes on iTunes below.
Hi future friends, I’m Sarah King, an Accredited Exercise Physiologist and health coach.
Science, not trends is the foundation of my approach. By nourishing the body and mind with scientific facts we can build foundations for a life of realness, not just wellness.