Episode 65: Is PCOS or Hypothalamic Amenorrhea Causing Your Missing Periods? Here’s How to Tell the Difference
PCOS versus Hypothalamic Amenorrhea. Both cause missing or irregular periods and have many similarities in terms of symptoms but have very different origins.
Unfortunately, the similarities between PCOS and Hypothalamic Amenorrhea means that misdiagnosis is a REAL problem, especially within the fitness world.
I can personally attest to the fact that I was misdiagnosed as having lean PCOS and didn’t even hear the term hypothalamic amenorrhea until I read a book by Kate Callahagn, called Holistic Nutrition and I was like OMG I don’t have PCOS at all!!! This was a total misdiagnosis.
The reason WHY it’s so important to get a proper diagnosis is because the treatment protocols for the two are completely different.
In today’s episode I discuss:
- What is PCOS versus what is Hypothalamic Amenorrhea
- How to tell whether you have PCOS or Hypothalamic Amenorrhea based on the different signs and symptoms
- Why an ultrasound is not enough to get a proper diagnosis for PCOS
- If it’s possible to have BOTH Hypothalamic Amenorrhea and PCOS and what to do about
- Questions your health care team should ask you about to determine whether PCOS or HA is more likely
- Diagnostic tests that are helpful in determining PCOS and Hypothalamic Amenorrhea
- Treatment approaches for each and where to get extra help
Ready To Get Your Period Back?
Sarah King is an Exercise Physiologist and Health Coach specialising in helping women reconnect with their bodies, regain their menstrual cycles, and improve their relationship with food and exercise.
Through her 1:1 Health Coaching Sessions clients learn to nourish their bodies without guilt, move for joy, improve body image and self worth, plus recover from Hypothalamic Amenorrhea and get their period pack if it’s gone missing.
Click below to book your free discovery call and get started.
Hi future friends, I’m Sarah King, an Accredited Exercise Physiologist and health coach.
Science, not trends is the foundation of my approach. By nourishing the body and mind with scientific facts we can build foundations for a life of realness, not just wellness.