Episode 47: Understanding & Treating Eating Disorders with Dr. Jake Linardon
In this episode of Holistic Health Radio, I’m Dr. Jake Linardon, a Research Fellow and Psychology Lecturer at Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia.
After completing his PhD in 2018, he continued research into eating disorders, with a primary focus on testing and evaluating a broad range of treatment approaches for eating disorders with the ultimate goal of finding more novel and effective ways to treat them.
His research has been published in numerous scientific journals, and he is also an editorial board member for the International Journal of Eating Disorders.
In today’s podcast Jake and I discuss:
- The prevalence and causes of eating disorders
- If eating disorders are more prevalent in sporting/fitness populations and why
- The current first line treatments for eating disorders and their effectiveness
- New treatment strategies that look promising and how these are similar/different from what is the current standard of treatment
- The impact of dietary restraint and if this increases disordered eating
- The difference between rigid and flexible dietary restraint
- Why he started Break Binge Eating and what it offers
Dr. Jake Linardon
Dr Jake Linardon completed his PhD in 2017. Since then, he has worked as a lecturer and ResearchFellow at Deakin University. His research centres around evaluating the effectiveness of a wide range of eating disorder treatment and prevention approaches, and aims to broaden their dissemination.
He has published over 40 peer-reviewed research articles, most of which are published in leading psychiatry and clinical psychology journals. He currently serves as an editorial board member for the journal Body Image and the International Journal of Eating Disorders.
READY TO BREAK FREE FROM FOOD AND BODY OBSESSION?
If you spend far too much time and energy thinking about your next meal, get down on yourself for having more than your daily allocated share of dark chocolate, or feel stuck in the binge-restrict cycle and are ready to reclaim your health, passions and life then the Body Freedom Academy is right for you.
This 6-week program with me is designed to transform your mindset through gentle, intuitive eating principles that set you up for a sustainable positive relationship with food and body.
Hi future friends, I’m Sarah King, an Accredited Exercise Physiologist and health coach.
Science, not trends is the foundation of my approach. By nourishing the body and mind with scientific facts we can build foundations for a life of realness, not just wellness.