Episode 2: Healing Hypothalamic Amenorrhea: How I Lost My Period For 10 Years and What I Did To Get It Back
For those of you who don’t know, hypothalamic amenorrhea is the cessation of your menstrual cycle for several months (or years in my case) due to a problem involving the hypothalamus. In today’s podcast we look at:
1. What is Hypothalamic Amenorrhea?
- How the hypothalamus controls our reproductive cycle
- What causes the HPA axis to become disrupted
- The changes in hormones FSH, LH, and estrogen that occur
- Why your period and ovulation stops
- The high school assembly speaker whose story stuck with me
- The age I first lost my period
- What factors contributed to me losing my period in the first place
- The advice I was given from doctors
- Why going on the hormonal contraceptive pill isn’t the answer
- The lifestyle and genetic factors that lead to Hypothalamic Amenorrhea
- The research from Dr. Nicola Rinaldi author of No Period, Now What?
- Bone loss, increased risk of osteopenia and osteoporosis (and why the pill might not help)
- Heart disease and why estrogen is so essential for heart health
- Dry skin, hair, and nails
- Loss of libido and decreased lubrication during sex
- Issues with gut health
- Among many others!
5. The 7 key steps I took to get my period back and how you can get yours back too
- What and how much exercise is appropriate to restore your period
- What and how much you should be eating to kickstart your cycle back into action
- How to figure out and achieve your ideal fertile weight and why body composition is important
- How stress plays a part and ways you can manage this
- Why support networks are essential and how to build yours
- How it took me to get my period back (and a guide on how long it may take for yours to come back too)
- Why the maintenance phase is the most critical part of recovery and which habits you need to keep up with.
If you’re serious about getting your period back, I’ve written a whole eBook outlining the step-by-step process I used myself and now use with my clients to help them restore their periods. This resource is for you if:
Hi future friends, I’m Sarah King, a Health At Every Size (HAES) Exercise Physiologist and health coach.
Science, not trends is the foundation of my approach. By nourishing the body and mind with scientific facts we can build foundations for a life of realness, not just wellness.